Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Roll Over, Maxine

In the last couple of weeks, Maxine has learned to roll from her back to her stomach. Which is pretty cool, except for a couple of things:

1. She can't roll from her stomach to her back.

2. She doesn't like being on her stomach, and quickly gets whiney about it.

I'm trying to teach her how to roll back onto her back. This is my method:

1. Wait until she rolls onto her stomach.

2. Encourage her to roll back.

3. Continue to encourage her for five minutes of crying.

4. Get the baby spatula.

I know what you're thinking: Baby spatula?

There's just one place to go for all your spatula needs: Spatula City.
Where can you get name-brand spatulas for a fraction of retail price? Spatula City.
And what better way to say "I love you" than with the gift of a spatula?

Yes, I now have "Weird Al" Yankovic's movie, UHF on DVD, and I'm loving every minute of it.

In other news, I just re-read Daniel Keyes' Flowers for Algernon, and once again that damn book made me cry at the end. If you've never read it, or only read the short story in English class way back when, I highly recommend getting a copy of the novel. It's a pretty quick read, if you're not just squeezing it in between taking care of a baby, doing chores around the house, and working. It will make you rethink the importance of intelligence, and will probably make your nose run with tears by the end.

Things that make me cry:

Flowers for Algernon

Ender's Game


the end of the movie "Lord of the Rings: the Return of the King". Even the soundtrack. Annie Lennox starts singing "Into the West" and I get all misty.

thinking too much about how far away my parents are

onions

Ah hell, it's not my style to make lists like this. Let's just say that ever since I found out that Horyon was pregnant, my emotions have been closer to the surface. And I had some serious tears of joy when she was born.

We're warming up to giving her solid food. This mostly involves us talking about it, but Horyon has spent some more money on baby-feeding stuff: high chairs (one for here, one for her parents), cute little bowls and spoons (ditto), and a big can of bacon grease (for flavor, I assume). I'll be sure to let you know how it goes, though I expect we will be too busy to take pictures.

Peace,

Rob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re: crying over onions.

I read a "Mr. Science" column recently, where someone wrote in asking why onions make us cry. The answer? "Because onions are telepathic vegetables."

A Brief Introduction

Roblog is my writing lab. It is my goal to not let seven days pass without a new post. I welcome your criticism, as I cannot improve on my own.

Here is a link to my cung post, which remains the only word which I have ever invented, and which has not, as far as I know, caught on. Yet.